Wednesday, December 1, 2010

TCF 312 Signing off

Boys and girls, it has been a blast. As this semester and class comes to an end, I'd like to take a moment to reflect on more than just the technical skills that I will take with me as a result of this experience. One of the first things that comes to mind when I think about all that I have learned in this class is how to problem solve in a group. When everyone works within his or her roles on set, everyone is able to concentrate on a far smaller set of problems. When the director isn't worried about touching the camera or playing with the glidetrack, he is able to focus more on how the composition and the lighting and the acting mesh in service of the look and aesthetic he or she has chosen for the project. I got to see this phenomenon time and again this semester and truly enjoyed seeing our class improve as communicators on set, myself included. Something else that immediately comes to mind is the development of director/d.p. relationships. Having the opportunity to work with Carly in the past allowed me to understand how she works on set, but this semester, our projects allowed us to better understand each other as filmmakers. While I was able to increase bonds with other filmmakers in our class, I wanted to touch on this specifically as it occurred to me this semester why many directors employ the same cinematographers in all of their projects, like to work together often, etc. It is through time, conflict, and collaboration that a rapport is built between filmmakers, and that is something that I found specifically in our scene assignments this semester. It is interesting to learn about all of the technical aspects of production, and it is fun to watch films showing the incredible abilities of the best recognized d.p.'s in the business, but it is something far more special when you realize that the concepts you have been learning all along are being implemented subconsciously as you progress.

By clayton with No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment