Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Lighting

Lighting inspiration can come to me in many forms. I love to flip through photography books to find interesting and aesthetically pleasing ways to light for scenes, however, my scanner has decided to take a little vacation, therefore we will be utilizing the interwebs to define beautiful lighting. Before we get started, I'll admit this- not too long ago, lighting was my least favorite aspect of filmmaking. When I started out, I would simply toss lights on stands and move them around until I got tired of trying to get rid of the shadows. After this year, I have been able to move forward with a real affinity for lighting as well as an appreciation for good lighting. I do not have a favorite lighting style, however, I do enjoy lighting that only gives you certain places to look. For example, a harsh side light from a distant window can create beautiful contrast on a person's face.




















Back lighting can also achieve a similar dramatic effect that can be quite pleasing as well.
One of my all-time favorite lighting styles for capturing beautiful exterior landscapes is nice, natural light that evenly covers the subject.
Another one of my favorites which we have seen utilized several times this year is film noir. I find this lighting style enamoring as it has a classic and nostalgic feel that uses high contrast to tell the viewer where to focus attention.

By clayton with No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment