Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Oops, one more.

I have been learning a great deal of techniques in this semester that I will take with me, and in the next few moments, we will discuss some of the facets of production which I have improved and look upon those which I need to work more. While I could ramble on for days about the theories I have been learning about since my first class in film, it is the practice that makes a filmmaker more than just a home movie camera operator. The most important aspect of filmmaking that we have all tried to employ more this semester is visual storytelling. I believe that the most important part of film is storytelling, and it is what makes this industry so successful. That being said, many students get caught up in the expensive equipment, awesome money shots that cost thousands of dollars to capture, and hype surrounding "Hollywood," myself included. I have made a concerted effort this semester, however, to put all of that aside in service of storytelling. One of the things that I find so interesting about filmmaking is that the best cinematographers have been working at their craft for decades and decades before they reach the top of the metaphorical mountain, platform, plateau- whatever. That being said, they are undoubtably some of the best storytellers out there. It has become my goal as a result of this semester to continue working to become a better storyteller. I will admit that I have a long way to go as a videographer, in terms of stylistic development as well as general techniques. I have had a fair amount of experience on the production side of things, and while I enjoy producing like I enjoy air, I would like to become a better cinematographer. Before this class, my affinity for film was only limited to acting, producing, and operating on occasion, but now I aim to become more proficient in all disciplines of cinematography. Without this class, it could have been years before I realized an affinity towards cinematography, and that would have been a shame, considering its going to take decades and decades if I want to see what it looks like from the peak.

By clayton with No comments

0 comments:

Post a Comment